Essential work skills involve the personal aptitude to function according to professional standards in any career setting. While many employers are willing to provide technical training, there is a widespread expectation that applicants are well equipped with essential skills. Across all industry sectors, this capacity is frequently a prerequisite for hire.
Kankakee County Programs & Workshops:
- Workplace Excellence Series/Essential Skills for Workplace Success - Program for KCC Students and young adults sponsored by the Grudy, Livingston & Kankakee Workforce Board.
- Workshops and Events for Job Preparation - Kankakee Workforce Services offers a variety of resources and workshops including, Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act Orientation, Computer Literacy Workshop, “Get a Job” Workshop, Electronic Job Search Workshop, Resume Development Class, GED preparation classes and WinWay Resume.
- Workforce Services Scholarship - Are you underemployed or unemployed? Have you exhausted your unemployment benefits? You could be eligible for up to $10,000 in career training
- Toastmasters- Check out this incredible professional development event hosted every first & third Thursday at the Kankakee Public Library at 6:30 PM! Participate in Toastmasters’ proven program, where you’ll learn how to speak comfortably in front of a group and lead with purpose.
- YMCA Job Readiness Program - Program for Kankakee County young adults/teenagers to educate and empower students towards sustainable employment. Monthly workshops and events with YMCA-hosted job fair at the end of the program.
- Solar Training Academy - Beginning in January, Kankakee Community College is hosting a course that provides skills in the emerging field of solar installation. The Solar Training Academy meets on four weekends between Jan. 25 and March 28. The weekend format is designed so most students can attend without missing school or work. Follow link to learn more about this academy and how to register!
- Kankakee Community College Career Services- Offered to students and the public, KCC hosts job preparation workshops and one-on-one counseling for professional development and advancement.
- Manpower GED Program - Manpower Kankakee is offering a program for its associates and associates for Manpower clients to obtain their high school equivalency diploma at no cost. This program includes a GED prep course, practice exams and coaching for all participants.
- i-Gen Program - Offered through the Kankakee Public Library, this program will teach coding to students ages 5-8. The library will visit local school partnerships for educational classes and also offer classes once a week at the library. Contact the library at 815-939-4564 for more information.
- Kankakee Public Library - Offeres a variety of professional services including public speaking classes (Toastmasters) and online languague learning software (Manga Languages).
- JAG at Kankakee High School - JAG Model programs provide participants with classroom and work-based learning experiences that result in a quality job leading to a career after graduation or completion of a GED. This program is offered at Kankakee High School.
- Business Start-Up Support- Program through the Kankakee County Chamber of Commerce, this opportunity gives you feedback and support during the beginning years of your new business through the help of local entrepreneurs.
- Junior Achievement - Junior Achievement is a program designed to target K-12 schools. They focus their education on skills, entrepreneurship and financial literacy. They work with employers as well, and employers will come to schools and speak on a certain topic. They also host career days. Contact Allison Jensen at email@example.com or (815) 514-5830 for more information.
- Young Aduld Program Services- Young Adult Program Services provides assistance with education and opportunities for career exploration to young adults 16-24 years old.
- United Way 211- 211 is a free, confidential phone number and website available 24/7 that connects you to information on programs and services locally, including job training programs in the area. Also visit the PATH online database for more local job training information.