Essential work skills involve the personal aptitude to function according to professional standards in any career setting. While many employers are willing to provide technical training, there is a widespread expectation that applicants are well equipped with essential skills. Across all industry sectors, this capacity is frequently a prerequisite for hire.
Kankakee County Programs & Workshops:
- Workplace Excellence Series/Essential Skills for Workplace Success - Program for KCC Students and young adults sponsored by the Grudy, Livingston & Kankakee Workforce Board.
- Workshops and Events for Job Preparation - Kankakee Workforce Services offers a variety of resources and workshops including, Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act Orientation, Computer Literacy Workshop, “Get a Job” Workshop, Electronic Job Search Workshop, Resume Development Class, GED preparation classes and WinWay Resume.
- YMCA Job Readiness Program - Program for Kankakee County young adults/teenagers to educate and empower students towards sustainable employment. Monthly workshops and events with YMCA-hosted job fair at the end of the program.
- Kankakee Community College Career Services- Offered to students and the public, KCC hosts job preparation workshops and one-on-one counseling for professional development and advancement.
- i-Gen Program - Offered through the Kankakee Public Library, this program will teach coding to students ages 5-8. The library will visit local school partnerships for educational classes and also offer classes once a week at the library. Contact the library at 815-939-4564 for more information.
- United Way 211- 211 is a free, confidential phone number and website available 24/7 that connects you to information on programs and services locally, including job training programs in the area. Also visit the PATH online database for more local job training information.
- Business Start-Up Support- Program through the Kankakee County Chamber of Commerce, this opportunity gives you feedback and support during the beginning years of your new business through the help of local entrepreneurs.
- Young Aduld Program Services- Young Adult Program Services provides assistance with education and opportunities for career exploration to young adults 16-24 years old.
- JAG at Kankakee High School - JAG Model programs provide participants with classroom and work-based learning experiences that result in a quality job leading to a career after graduation or completion of a GED. This program is offered at Kankakee High School.